Sunday, March 8, 2009

The One That Got Away

***Writing prompt from http://www.creativewritingprompts.com/

Prompt #282: Write from the point of view of a virus about to infect an important document.


I can see it! At the end of the tunnel! It's sweet, shining light is calling for me. It wants me to come! It does! The light is the brightest I've ever seen and it teases me with all that it has. The numbers and letters don't make sense, but it doesn't matter because it never matters! There is no wall to secure it from me; no defense; nothing to keep me away!

I head faster towards my unprotected prey, and I can feel jolts of electricity passing by, as well as more numbers and codes that mean nothing to me. It's all a game, somewhat like capture the flag, and this flag I have already claimed.

My insides feel bubbly and I know it is because of my excitement and hunger. I have not had a purpose for quite a while, and now at this moment, I feel as if I once again have that life-fulfilling meaning.

I open my mouth, bits of infected data falling out and spreading through the tunnel. I bite into the light, and information swells inside my stomach. Oh! It's such a wonderful feeling! I consume the biggest numbers, the most urgent words, tables, and graphs, and so much more! It's like an all-you-can-eat buffet and I have been starving for long enough!

It isn't long until the hollow space, where the document is being kept, is lighting up with red alerts all around it. I only smile and laugh as I spit out more infectious data down onto the system where I was currently bathing in glory and strenth. Anything and everything that it or myself touches can slow everything down.

I continue to feast on the large document that strikes me so strange as to why it has no defense at all. Just by the taste of it, I can feel its massive importance. Does no one care at all or are humans just becoming more ignorant? Maybe they have this backed up? And if they do...I wonder hysterically where they could be hiding it. Now, I want more of this than just what I already have.

I can feel my greed becoming my actual existence and I have no care at all. HAHAHAH!

No comments: