Saturday, May 23, 2009

Slammin' Up A Poem

So this is my slam poetry that I wrote up using the prompt that my Writing teacher had given us all. I didn't have to use this, but I did, cuz it just seemed to flow somehow and enough people liked it.

I, on the other hand, am not a fan of poetry with this type of subject/topic. It may seem whiny and all and love/broken love poetry seems over done, over used, and overrated.

I've had someone comment and say that this poem is just about a woman bitching about a man. In a way, I guess it can be...if that's how you want to look at it. Not really what I was going for though.

Enjoy.

The things you should’ve done/been – slam poetry
By Celeste Medina

You weren’t very vocal.
You weren’t very clear.
Couldn’t you speak louder so someone could hear?

You should’ve smiled once in a while
And kept in my sight.
You were always messing around and arguing with me
But you should’ve been the one to defend me in fights.

You should’ve been more careful with knives;
Been more aware!
You should’ve known what would happen when you sat on that broken chair.

It was a laugh!
You were always making me laugh;
Always making jokes in my behalf.

You should’ve done some things different, too, though
Like jumped on that plane to see your dying mother
Or gone to that restaurant with me when I invited you out for dinner.

You should’ve held me in your arms when I complained,
“It’s too cold!”
You should’ve been the one to have that silly heart of gold.

You should’ve been confident.
You should’ve been true.
You should’ve understood when I threw that shoe at you.

You should’ve made me laugh then when I was feeling all alone;
The only times you never paid attention to me.
You should’ve given me half of that pie you didn’t own.
You can be so selfish...to a certain degree.

You should’ve washed those dishes when I asked you to;
Kept my secrets when you said, “I do.”

You should’ve been more obedient even though you didn’t have to be.
You should’ve made some time for a little you and me.

You should’ve cried when you were feeling upset.
I know you’re a man, but to be so egotistic?
You should’ve stayed home that night it was soaking wet.
Come on now, where could you go? Be realistic.

You should’ve caught those looks I threw
And had the courage and confidence, too.
You should’ve let me drive your car.
Just let me be your shining star.

You should’ve hollered when I couldn’t hear.
You should’ve gone away with me for that one long year.
You should’ve had a little more sense.
You should’ve surprised me with flowers and sweets.
You should’ve come to my defense when I had that argument with that man from the street.

You should’ve been warm
And inviting.
You should’ve been more than just good-looking.

You should’ve leaned closer to me when I whispered in your ears.
You should’ve been happier in all our long years.

You should’ve fixed the basement door; the hinges were always creaking
And the pipes under the sink; those wouldn’t stop leaking!

You should’ve asked if I ever needed help.
You should’ve thought of someone other than yourself.
You should’ve just been my knight in shining armor.
But even though you weren’t,
It was always easy for you to win me over.


***Damn, right? You might think that the poem's great, but my performance when I had presented it did not match up. I was shaking the whole time and still was afterwards when it was all over. My words did not know how to walk...Hah! I kept falling and stumbling on my words, I mean.

Also: It kinda sucks when you have someone before you present such an amazing- or should I say 'slammin' poem, and you just fail to deliver the same kind of performance. D=

No comments: